The Orlando Scientific Center (OSC) is a private science museum in Orlando, Florida, open to the public. They aim to give hands-on learning opportunities for students to learn about science and technology while also increasing public understanding of science and technology.
The Orlando Scientific Center is recognized by the American Alliance of Museums (AAM) and members of the Association of Science-Technology Centers (ASTC) (ASTC). The Orlando Science Center is supported and sponsored by United Arts of Central Florida, Inc., the State of Florida, the Department of State, the Division of Cultural Affairs, and the Florida Arts Council, with additional support and sponsorship from the Florida Arts Council.
The Central Florida Museum (CFM) was established in 1955 and first opened its doors in Orlando Loch Haven Park in 1960. For the first decade of its existence, it served as an anthropology museum. Where it housed collections of items from Florida and the Caribbean Basin. The CFM’s board of directors decided in the early 1970s to refocus the organization’s efforts and transform it into a “hands-on” scientific and technology center. In 1973, the facility was renamed in honor of John Young, a famous native son, an astronaut born in the area.
The name of the institution changed to Orlando Science Center in 1984 as part of an expansion and a shift in philosophical orientation. Another extension completed in 1985 added a permanent physical sciences hall, a moving exhibit hall, and Curiosity Corner, a hands-on exhibit area geared to children in the pre-school and early primary school age groups. Several sequences from Ernest Saves Christmas were filmed at the Orlando Children’s Museum, which recently opened in a new facility. NatureWorks, a prototype for the OSC’s flagship natural science display, was built as part of the final edition of the original site, which took place in 1990.
In May 1992, the Orlando Scientific Center Board of Directors and staff prepared a comprehensive master plan for the facility, which included a layout for a new science center. Construction on the new science center began in the early 1990s and was completed in 1995. In 1997, the new Orlando Science Center, which was 207,000 square feet in size, opened its doors for the first time. It is six times the size of the previous plant, which was decommissioned on December 31, 1996. JoAnn Newman is the current president and chief executive officer of the scientific center.
Other Nearby Attractions
Gatorland is a 110-acre theme park and wildlife preserve near Orlando, Florida, located along the South Orange Blossom Trail. It is the state’s largest amusement park and wildlife preserve. It was founded 72 years ago by Owen Godwin on what was formerly cow property in 1949 and is still privately owned by the Godwin family today. Read More